- Achille Mbembe, The load of life
In a rush to reduce the recession following COVID-19, some maintain their economies dearer than the saving of lives. However prosperity isn’t the indefinite depletion of our bodies and assets. It’s by the satisfaction of primary wants that we are going to restore the dignity of all.
- Deva Woodly, An American reckoning. The hearth this time by way of Public Seminar
The Motion for Black Lives has influenced public opinion about racism in American life, modified coverage, helped scale back police violence and reshaped the politics of social justice. Lastly, the broader public is coming to know the necessity for a radical political transformation.
2020’s most-read articles in Eurozine
And crucial subject
- Gaby Zipfel, Liberté, égalité, sexualité by way of Mittelweg 36
Regardless of ’60s slogans, making love doesn’t cease one from making battle. Quite the opposite: violence and sexuality are intertwined in dominant masculinity, and the harm this causes is commonly denied and unaccounted for. How ought to we interpret the ambiguous hyperlinks between lust and hostility?
- Nikita Dhawan, (Im)Potential solidarities. Transnational feminist politics and the erotics of resistance by way of Tradition & Démoctratie
Can road protests talk justice for all? Political theorist Nikita Dhawan criticizes international actions the place solely ‘sure people are effectively positioned to precise their aspirations’.
Trapped in know-how
Learn extra on know-how right here.
Pandemic on the fringes
- Refugees within the pandemic: our miniseries on the early dealing with of COVID-19 risk at Europe’s most crowded refugee camps and settlements.
- Daniel Trilling, Asocial distancing: The mistreatment of Roma and homeless individuals within the corona disaster expanded, many utilizing the security considerations as an excuse for additional persecution.
- Boglárka Fedorkó, Promoting intercourse within the pandemic: The worldwide well being risk tore up outdated wounds of the scapegoating in the course of the early HIV/AIDS epidemic, but in addition revealed grassroots energy of neighborhood organizing .
- Jemimah Steinfeld, Safer social scenes by way of Index on Censorship: LGBTQIA+ courting apps have been abused beneath the disguise of public well being measures.
- Atreyee Sen, Pandemic rape in India by way of L’Homme: Staying house might scale back infections, however isn’t essentially protected for everybody: ladies with violent companions are going through an elevated danger of abuse throughout lockdown. Solidarity is essential. Learn extra
Learn extra from our corona protection right here.
Technique of survival
- Kate Brown, Resurrecting the soil by way of Vikerkaar
What can the historical past of the soil inform us about modernity and its ills? An experiment in city gardening units Kate Brown desirous about the results of the western world’s perennial misuse of the land – and return life to in the present day’s extinct terrains.
- College of Echoes Los Angeles, La comuna o nada: Constructing an autonomous tenants motion in Los Angelesby way of dérive
Tenants are the brand new proletariat. Rents are among the many essential sources of worldwide capital accumulation, and tenants’ vulnerability is rising. Utilizing their shared experiences as a foundation for battle, College of Echoes tells the story of organizing in opposition to gentrification.
The fascism debate
Fascism for our time?
‘Fascism’ has entered America’s political lexicon as a method to perceive and oppose the rise of the far-right. Trump’s polemics in opposition to the left have additionally propelled the label ‘antifascism’ into the mainstream. However are we actually seeing a US fascism? What baggage does the idea of ‘antifascism’ carry?
Learn extra from Eurozine’s collaborative point of interest with Public Seminar.
- Krzysztof Michalski, The quietness of demise by way of and Gazeta Wyborcza and the Institute for Human Sciences
In moments of disaster, reflecting on loss may be particularly onerous. Thinker Krzysztof Michalski’s meditation on an sudden demise lends gravitas to common questions of perception, consciousness and concern in occasions of transition.
- Ece Temelkuran, The paper ache by way of the European Cultural Basis
Ece Temelkuran describes her deep unease at being known as an ‘exile’ and the way, regardless of that public position, she shares a elementary expertise with the unnamed refugee.