Sri Lankan novelist Anuk Arudpragasam’s “A Passage North” has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2021.
The shortlist for the celebrated literary prize awarded annually for the very best novel written in English and printed within the UK or Eire was introduced on Tuesday (Sep. 14).
Arudpragasam, born in Colombo, is an award-winning writer who received the DSC Prize for South Asian Literature and Shakti Bhatt Prize for his debut novel “The Story of a Temporary Marriage”. Printed in 2016, this novel additionally made the shortlist for the Dylan Thomas Prize and the German Internationaler Literaturpreis.
His second novel “A Passage North” explores the lasting results of the trauma and violence of the island’s civil struggle, and a previous love affair.
Different nominees for this yr’s Booker Prize embrace:
• Damon Galgut – The Promise. The ninth novel by the South African author which tells the story of a white household over the a long time from the Apartheid period.
• Patricia Lockwood – No One Is Speaking About This. That is the debut novel by the American poet and memoirist.
• Nadifa Mohamed – The Fortune Males. Somaliland-born British writer’s guide is about within the docks of post-war Cardiff Bay and follows the story of an actual Somali sailor who was wrongly accused of homicide.
• Richard Powers – Bewilderment. The Pulitzer-winning US writer depicts the story of a widowed astrobiologist who turns to experimental remedies to assist his nine-year-old son with extra wants – and take him to different planets.
• Maggie Shipstead – Nice Circle. This US writer’s novel focuses on the tales of a daring post-war feminine pilot and a twenty first century Hollywood actress who’s making an attempt to rescue her repute by making a movie about her.
-with inputs from businesses