About this episode
– Episode 3 (of 24), ‘Hunted’
– Written by Vivian Tse
– Directed by Frederick E.O. Toye
Spoilers for The Strolling Useless season 11 episode 3 observe.
Persevering with from the mask-wearing Reapers ambush in final week’s episode, the group exacts a fast and merciless assault on Maggie’s group who’re bloodied as they try to flee. The battle is swift and brutal. Maggie is remoted within the melee, when issues abruptly flip quiet.
Everyone seems to be gone. Issues are eerie, disorientating, and we now have many unknowns concerning the assault, together with who’s even alive at this level. Maggie escapes the realm, however is pursued. The Reapers turn into traditional horror film villains, in the event that they have been cold-blooded commandos. At one level, Maggie activates a light-weight in the dead of night and a skull-face is leering behind her. When one other is injured, they deploy grenades like they’re a downed participant in Name of Responsibility. These theatrics are all to distract their enemies, however Maggie stays targeted.
The determined duo of her and Negan are once more the automobile for the episode, as they meet and seek for their cut up group. Alden is severely lower up, however he’s fortunate. Two of Maggie’s previous pals, Duncan and Cole, don’t come out in any respect. The psychological toll is evident on Maggie, as she places Duncan down earlier than he zombifies and guarantees to maintain Agatha. Throughout the span of the following encounter, Agatha is bitten and finally overrun by Walkers, as Negan should drag Maggie away to save lots of her whereas Agatha dies. Other than her husband’s killer, everybody she cares for is useless or lacking. Brutal.
Gabriel is one other survivor we observe on this episode. He hunts a dying Reaper alone. The Reaper asks for Gabriel to hope for him, however Gabriel can’t discover the need to, and finishes off the downed man. Gabriel has at all times been challenged in his morality and religion on this new and harsh world – it’s outlined his arc in The Strolling Useless – and he is continued to turn into extra cynical within the face of those occasions. It’s unhappy to see a very good particular person flip cold-hearted, but it makes excellent sense for his character.
Elsewhere, in Alexandria…
Again in Alexandria correct, we begin to see extra of the city and the repairs going down after the Whisperers invaded. The partitions are erected, particles is cleared, and patrols proceed. There’s a way of desperation because the restoration begins. Morale could be very low.
We see a couple of scenes with the youngsters of Alexandria, together with Judith and Hershel, who’re enjoying video games and consuming collectively. They discuss why the adults inform them what they do, act the way in which they do and produce up the unusual meals they’ve needed to eat. It is the angle of people that have solely identified the post-apocalypse, and it is a good change of tempo to see them questioning their elders and the world they’ve grown up in. It’s humbling to see a extra mundane ambiance in the midst of all this depth.
The larger focus, although, is the ladies of Alexandria. Carol goes out to search out their escaped horses, helped by Magna, Kelly, and Rosita. The entire vibe of their tour is extra like a western, with corralling and ranching of livestock as they open up to one another. The Western aesthetics have at all times been there on this present, however made extra specific right here, and it’s emotionally poignant as they consolation and hear to one another. There’s actual tenderness in these scenes, with the comfortable solar setting behind the galloping horses. The morale is, for now, lifted in Alexandria.
In fact, that is The Strolling Useless, so happiness comes with a sacrifice. As their meals provide is decimated, Carol takes a horse away, lays it down, calms it and slits its throat as its life steadily fades. By way of her tears, the allegory appears apparent. Letting one die to save lots of the others is a choice that must be made generally – particularly on this present.
This leads neatly into the ultimate scene, the place Maggie is pressured to depart Alden in an deserted church whereas she and Negan proceed to Arbor Hill’s provide cache. She says Negan is heartless, and the identical particular person she left behind, even when he’s mendacity to himself about altering. It actually drives dwelling how she resists any form of humanity or doable redemption in him. They wander away collectively, their relationship as tense as ever.
The Reapers are given the house to point out us what they’re product of, hinting on the terror and battle to return. Even the ever-steely Carol is given the prospect to be extra emotional and weak than normal on this episode, with a number of nice emotional, bodily appearing from Melissa McBride.
We are able to even complement the oft-awful lighting for a change – it actually shines within the episode’s moody darks and brilliant sunsets. Maggie and Negan’s relationship is pleasing sufficient, although specializing in it for a 3rd episode in a row is beginning to wane my curiosity, and there are many different characters that we might discover.
- The burned walker physique Negan finds has an indication above them saying ‘JUDAS’. That is allusion to the Biblical Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus, alluding to the burned particular person being somebody who betrayed the Reapers.
- The one Reapers traitor presently suspected is Leah, who we first met within the episode ‘Discover Me’, the place Daryl grew to become romantically entangled along with her earlier than disappearing. Fan theories suspect her be a Reaper from her army background and tattoo.
- Leah’s actress, Lynn Collins, is to return for a number of episodes in season 11 (together with the following one), making the walker unlikely to be her, until she is just returning in flashback sequences.
- The ‘Wellhaven Plaza’ mall Maggie runs to was filmed on the Southlake Mall in Morrow, Georgia. Georgia has been The Strolling Useless’s state to movie in for the reason that sequence started.
- A shot on the finish of the episode reveals a low angle of Negan with a bloody crowbar, as Maggie stares at it. The shot mirrors the identical one used throughout Negan’s introduction, when he kills Glen and Abraham.
- Through the hunt for the horses, the characters discover a useless horse and recall ‘Buttons’. Buttons was a horse that appeared in season 5’s ‘Overlook’ and was additionally injured by walkers, forcing the group to euthanize it.